Working with growing businesses is exciting to Patrick, particularly small and middle market businesses. In his experience these are the businesses that bring the most creative and innovative products and services to market. Additionally, in these businesses, resources are limited, and making appropriate decisions as to which assets to protect, and how to protect them, is critical. Patrick runs an IP micro-boutique because he believes it is the best way to serve small and middle market businesses’ IP needs.
Patrick’s background has put him in a prime position to work with companies across many industries. He works on matters including (but not limited to) software patents, mobile apps, medical devices, wireless communication networks and household and consumer goods. The only technical subject matters he avoids are pharmaceutical- and chemistry-based patent applications.
Patrick’s greatest strength as a lawyer is in providing the guidance and direction needed to make appropriate strategic decisions based on your business’s specific needs. He is an active problem solver and finds it personally fulfilling to help businesses navigate complex IP decisions.
To read about what Patrick’s clients say about him and his practice, see his client reviews at http://www.richardspatentlaw.com/client-reviews/.
- Intellectual Property Strategy
- Works with clients bringing new products to the market to secure patent and trademark rights.
- Works with clients bringing new products to the market to determine the likelihood that the products will infringe others’ intellectual property rights.
- Works with clients to license patent rights, both from the licensor and licensee perspectives.
- Enforces patent rights through litigation.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court, 2000
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Northern District of Illinois
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2000
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Civil Engineering, 1997, with honors
- Illinois Super Lawyer Rising Star 2012-2015