Daryl M. Schumacher
Daryl spent the first ten years of his career practicing at some of Chicago’s largest law firms—most recently as a partner at the Washington, D.C.-based firm Steptoe & Johnson. Daryl’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, with a concentration in financial services litigation and regulation. Over the years, Daryl has participated in court and arbitration proceedings in over twenty states. He has represented Fortune 500 companies and individuals before state and federal courts, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Illinois Securities Department, the New York Stock Exchange, Inc., NASD Dispute Resolution, Inc., the American Arbitration Association and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Daryl has vast experience representing clients in all phases of litigation, including regulatory investigations, arbitrations, trials and appellate litigation.
Daryl received his law degree from The John Marshall Law School in 1998, where he graduated with high honors and achieved the academic distinction magna cum laude. While in law school, Daryl was a staff editor for The John Marshall Law Review and participated in the Herzog Moot Court Competition. Daryl was admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois in 1998. Daryl is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association, and has served as a committee member of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division.
- Obtained $4 million and $2.8 million judgments on behalf of investors who lost money in connection with Ponzi schemes.
- Secured the dismissal of enforcement proceedings which the Illinois Securities Department initiated against financial industry professionals.
- Represents clients seeking to pursue or defend claims involving trade secrets and covenants not to compete.
- Represents retail securities customers victimized by fraudulent conduct in connection with the handling of their investment accounts.
- Represents hedge funds and other companies accused of violations of state and federal securities laws.
- Defends financial professionals being investigated or sued by regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Illinois Securities Department, or the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1998, Law Review, Moot Court, Magna Cum Laude
- Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine named Daryl to its list of Super Lawyers for 2013-2015.
- Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine named Daryl to its list of Rising Stars for 2008, 2011, and 2012. No more than 2.5 percent of lawyers in the state are named as Rising Stars.
- Staff Editor – The John Marshall Law Review
- The John Marshall Law School – magna cum laude