Tammi’s practice focuses on commercial and technology-based matters, including: business organization; debt and equity financings, venture capital and other private placements; licensing, leasing, distribution, marketing, sales and service transactions, OEM transactions and joint ventures; and online privacy issues.
She advises software, leasing, consulting, marketing, communication and other emerging and established technology and digital media companies.
She has sector experience in: telecommunications, wireless and Wi-Fi; software as a service (SaaS); business continuity, equipment leasing, consumer electronics, advertising, mobile marketing, communications, art and entertainment law.
She taught a course on communication law at DePaul University in the Public Relations and Advertising Graduate Program. She founded and co-chaired the Illinois Technology Association’s Women’s Round Table. Tammi is a board member of Woman Made Gallery and a regular volunteer for Lawyers for the Creative Arts.
- Incorporate startup in DE: prepare & file Certificate of Incorporation; prepare & file Form SS-4 Employer Identification Number; prepare Bylaws; prepare Organizational Board & Shareholder Minutes; prepare & file qualification to do business as foreign corporation; organize corporate minute book; prepare & issue Founder’s stock certificates; and prepare Stock Option Plan & Option Agreements.
- Converted partnership to LLC. Drafted operating agreement for LLC. Drafted partnership conversion agreement. Prepared conversion filing for Illinois Secretary of State.
- Reviewed script and agreement with Los Angeles commercial production house for creation of video advertisement to be distributed via broadcast and internet.
- Reviewed advertising copy for intellectual property issues and false advertising claims.
- Prepared convertible note, note purchase agreement and term sheet for bridge financing.
- Prepared stock purchase agreement, shareholder agreement, promissory note and warrant for first outside investor in technology company.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Loyola University of Chicago, School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Co-Editor, Blackacre, School of Law Student Newspaper
- Indiana University, Bloomington, B.A., English Literature, 1982
- Executive Board, Student Alumni Council
- Speaker: 1871 – Protecting Your Early Stage Business
- Speaker: Tech Week – Mobilize for Mobile Marketing
- Panel Speaker Bricks + Mobile Conference: Privacy and Security Issues
- ITA Mobile Roundtable Presenter: 10 Legal Mistakes that Can Destroy a Mobile Marketing Campaign
- Speaker: Entrepreneurs Unplugged Fall Startup Law Summit
goodcounsel is a law practice of innovators for innovators. In a tradition-bound profession, we stand out by continuously seeking ways to deliver efficient, inventive, technology-enabled legal counsel to our entrepreneurial clients.
We represent privately-held companies of all sizes, from fledgling startups to established, profitable operating businesses. We also serve individuals occupying various roles across a variety of situations: from company co-founders starting a business, to investors funding one, to an executive wishing to arrange a smooth exit.
A lawyer by training and an innovator by temperament, goodcounsel’s principal, Ken Obel, came to understand the needs of growing businesses in the most direct way possible: by starting one himself. Having experienced the thrills and challenges of being an entrepreneur, and working in business and legal roles at other entrepreneurs’ companies for a decade after exiting his own startup, Ken developed a firsthand perspective and some strong opinions about how legal services could be delivered in a way that better fits the needs of the new enterprise.
goodcounsel’s investments in efficiency mean that for most matters, we prefer to handle client work on a fixed-fee basis, charging for the value of what we deliver instead of the time it takes us to deliver. We spend time up front to understand a prospective client’s requirements in detail, and then we commit to a price.
We look forward to learning how we can help your business.