Clara Duffield is a seasoned transactional lawyer, with significant experience acting as a trusted business advisor. Clara’s practice focuses on technology, intellectual property, corporate and vendor contracts, and commercial real estate. She represents hedge funds, technology companies, and financial services companies in a wide range of transactional matters, including business structuring, data and research purchases, vendor audits, hardware, software, and professional services purchases and sales, privacy and data security compliance, and commercial real estate acquisition, disposition, financing, and leasing.
After graduating from The University of Chicago Law School in 2002, Clara spent 8 years in private practice representing clients in complex commercial real estate, merger and acquisition, branding, and other transactional matters. For the subsequent 7 years, Clara worked as in-house counsel to a large financial services company, handling intellectual property, vendor contracts, technology, privacy, licensing, marketing, and otherwise supporting general operations. She started Duffield Law, P.C. in fall 2017 to offer high-quality, value-added legal services across a range of industries, at an affordable rate.
Tammi’s practice focuses on commercial and technology-based matters, including: business organization; debt and equity financings, venture capital and other private placements; licensing, leasing, distribution, marketing, sales and service transactions, OEM transactions and joint ventures; and online privacy issues.
She advises software, leasing, consulting, marketing, communication and other emerging and established technology and digital media companies.
She has sector experience in: telecommunications, wireless and Wi-Fi; software as a service (SaaS); business continuity, equipment leasing, consumer electronics, advertising, mobile marketing, communications, art and entertainment law.
She taught a course on communication law at DePaul University in the Public Relations and Advertising Graduate Program. She founded and co-chaired the Illinois Technology Association’s Women’s Round Table. Tammi is a board member of Woman Made Gallery and a regular volunteer for Lawyers for the Creative Arts.
- Incorporate startup in DE: prepare & file Certificate of Incorporation; prepare & file Form SS-4 Employer Identification Number; prepare Bylaws; prepare Organizational Board & Shareholder Minutes; prepare & file qualification to do business as foreign corporation; organize corporate minute book; prepare & issue Founder’s stock certificates; and prepare Stock Option Plan & Option Agreements.
- Converted partnership to LLC. Drafted operating agreement for LLC. Drafted partnership conversion agreement. Prepared conversion filing for Illinois Secretary of State.
- Reviewed script and agreement with Los Angeles commercial production house for creation of video advertisement to be distributed via broadcast and internet.
- Reviewed advertising copy for intellectual property issues and false advertising claims.
- Prepared convertible note, note purchase agreement and term sheet for bridge financing.
- Prepared stock purchase agreement, shareholder agreement, promissory note and warrant for first outside investor in technology company.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Loyola University of Chicago, School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Co-Editor, Blackacre, School of Law Student Newspaper
- Indiana University, Bloomington, B.A., English Literature, 1982
- Executive Board, Student Alumni Council
- Speaker: 1871 – Protecting Your Early Stage Business
- Speaker: Tech Week – Mobilize for Mobile Marketing
- Panel Speaker Bricks + Mobile Conference: Privacy and Security Issues
- ITA Mobile Roundtable Presenter: 10 Legal Mistakes that Can Destroy a Mobile Marketing Campaign
- Speaker: Entrepreneurs Unplugged Fall Startup Law Summit
I am an advocate, consultant, and art enthusiast. I am motivated to use my law degree to help others achieve their goals and reach their potential. I entered law school because of the potential which I saw in the legal profession to promote positive social change and protect creative enterprises. I put my license to use every day to advise entrepreneurs and small business owners on their legal rights while teaching them how to protect their intellectual property. I am proud of the fact that my living is made laying the ground work for freelancers and artists to build successful enterprises through contracts, corporate registrations, and trademark management. I don’t want to go a day without hearing a great new idea, a unique solution to an old problem, or experiencing something that inspires me. If this also sounds like you, then I would like to be your attorney. How can I be of assistance?
goodcounsel is a law practice of innovators for innovators. In a tradition-bound profession, we stand out by continuously seeking ways to deliver efficient, inventive, technology-enabled legal counsel to our entrepreneurial clients.
We represent privately-held companies of all sizes, from fledgling startups to established, profitable operating businesses. We also serve individuals occupying various roles across a variety of situations: from company co-founders starting a business, to investors funding one, to an executive wishing to arrange a smooth exit.
A lawyer by training and an innovator by temperament, goodcounsel’s principal, Ken Obel, came to understand the needs of growing businesses in the most direct way possible: by starting one himself. Having experienced the thrills and challenges of being an entrepreneur, and working in business and legal roles at other entrepreneurs’ companies for a decade after exiting his own startup, Ken developed a firsthand perspective and some strong opinions about how legal services could be delivered in a way that better fits the needs of the new enterprise.
goodcounsel’s investments in efficiency mean that for most matters, we prefer to handle client work on a fixed-fee basis, charging for the value of what we deliver instead of the time it takes us to deliver. We spend time up front to understand a prospective client’s requirements in detail, and then we commit to a price.
We look forward to learning how we can help your business.