Andrew R. Greene
Andy is a founding member of A&G Law LLC. Andy has experience in a broad range of matters, including financial fraud claims, crisis management, shareholder disputes, wage and hour disputes, municipal and civil rights litigation, insurance coverage and bad faith claims, and class action defense. Throughout his career, he has developed a track record of achieving results, whether through negotiation, dispositive motion practice, or if necessary, trial. He has also argued appeals in both federal and state courts.
Although a litigator by training, Andy’s experience extends beyond representation of his clients in court. He has represented clients in connection with investigations by federal and state authorities, advised boards on their fiduciary obligations, and conducted a number of corporate internal investigations into suspected employee misconduct. He has also served as outside general counsel for clients, supervising and coordinating all litigation matters and insurance coverage issues.
When representing plaintiffs in commercial litigation, Andy has recovered tens of millions of dollars on behalf of clients. On the defense side, he has achieved dismissal or favorable settlement of high-profile individual claims as well as class actions. He has also been at the forefront of efforts to introduce alternative billing arrangements into commercial litigation, including fixed fee budgets, fee caps, and partial contingencies.
Before co-founding A&G Law, Andy was a partner at the international law firms of Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal (now Dentons) and Altheimer & Gray.
Andy is also on the Board of Directors for Chicago Youth Programs, a not-for-profit group that aids at-risk youth in Chicago’s under-served communities, and which places over 85% of its participants into higher education.
- Represented national title insurer in multidistrict litigation including hundreds of individual and class claims brought by sub-prime borrowers against lender.
- Represented public transit agency in litigation against bus manufacturer. Recovered eight figure settlement on behalf of client.
- Defended international restaurant chain in putative consumer fraud class action pending in Illinois state court. Plaintiff withdrew motion for class certification after briefing and prior to hearing.
- Successfully prosecuted breach of fiduciary claims on behalf of investors in complex real estate and energy deals involving tens of millions of dollars in disputed distributions.
- Represented national property and casualty insurer in multiple class and mass joinder coverage lawsuits pending in the Eastern District of Louisiana arising out of Hurricane Katrina.
- Won an arbitration decision in multi-million dollar lost profits claim brought against manufacturing client.
- Successfully resolved bad faith claims against insurer arising out of high-profile porch collapse in Chicago’s Lincoln Park.
- Represented not-for-profit medical institution in lawsuits arising out of loss of charitable assets through alleged negligence of officer. Lawsuits were resolved through successful negotiations with Illinois Attorney General, D&O insurer, and property tax buyer.
- Represented board of regional transit agency on corporate governance, Open Meetings Act, Freedom of Information Act, intergovernmental relations, and other issues.
- Represented developer against warranty claims brought by condominium owner.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict in favor of suburban police officer and municipality in civil rights lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented suburban municipality at trial in lawsuit brought by local business challenging special use decision. Prevailed on one count at trial and prevailed on the other count on appeal.
- Obtained judgment, including punitive damages, on behalf of client in two-week federal trial of fraud and alter ego claims.
- Obtained dismissal of tortious interference and misappropriation of trade secrets claims against systems consulting firm in Massachusetts state court.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of $30 million lawsuit brought by Illinois Attorney General against officers of charitable foundation.
- Represented reinsurer in Federal Court in lawsuit concerning fronting arrangement for insurance of film productions. Case favorably settled on eve of trial.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1994, cum laude
- Miami University, B.A., 1989, Phi Beta Kappa
- Highest “AV Preeminent (5 out of 5)” Professional Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono service from the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2007)